Mostly Useless Thoughts on Stuff that Interests Me...

Sunday, April 25, 2010

365 Songs: Day 6 & 7

This is the first appearance of what is sure to be several by one of my favorite bands. Many people love them, though it seems lately that more hate them. Partly I think this is due to Bono's activism and somewhat holy-than-thou personality. They have also been around a long time and have produced a fairly large and varied body of work, engaging in a lot of "reinvention" along the way. So if you want to find something they have done that you don't like, well then, you can probably find it.

Whatever.

War. The Unforgettable Fire. The Joshua Tree.

If they did nothing but those three they would still be among my favorites.

I liked that they tried different things; they didn't find the recipe for success and then repeat it. Bands should grow and evolve. It may not always work, you may not always like it, but it sure beats the same old thing every time.

I owe two songs since I didn't post yesterday, so we get a shortened version of October (from the album of the same name) and the iconic New Year's Day from War. The performance was recorded at the Red Rocks amphitheater in Colorado. I love the Edge's minimalist piano playing in both songs.

1 comment:

CKY said...

I like individual U2 songs but I just have a general disdain for all things Bono. The man twists my lip into a snarl.