Mostly Useless Thoughts on Stuff that Interests Me...

Wednesday, April 28, 2010

365 Songs: Day 10

Artist: PJ Harvey
Song: C'mon Billy
Album: To Bring You My Love (1995)
Performance: French TV, 1995

Polly Jean Harvey's masterpiece album 'To Bring You My Love' entered my musical life in the late 90's like a bomb, blowing apart my ideas of what I liked in a female vocalist. And like a bomb it probably did my hearing no favors as I listened to it loudly and frequently at the Bride's apartment; we had just started dating and so these songs are forever bonded to that time for me.

Even with the feel-good association, I'd rate this album in my top 50 all-time even if I discovered it during bad times. It just doesn't quit. In a recent interview she said, "I certainly don't want to make music that can be put on in the background and be spoken over". Mission accomplished with this album.

I chose this low-key performance because it is mercifully lacking in the dark stage persona she is often projects, she is just playing it straight here.

No comments: