Mostly Useless Thoughts on Stuff that Interests Me...

Monday, March 8, 2010

Project 29er: What Will It Weigh?

I was bored this weekend. So I weighed every component of my RIP 9. I'm not a weight weenie, as can be seen by my choice of frame, but I like charts. Charts with colors are even better!

It will surprise no one to hear that many manufacturer's claimed weights are less than the actual weights. What is surprising is that some brands actually overstated their products weights. Ritchey's SuperLogic bar for example, was 3 grams less than published. That's probably with the normal +/- for a part like this, but it's nice to see some honesty.

Regardless, my goal of a "lightweight" RIP 9 seems promising. If the remaining items are anywhere near their published weights the whole thing may come in under 27 lbs (though I'll believe that when I weigh the finished product). Even if the weight goes as high as 27.5 lbs, for an aluminum framed, 4.5" travel full-suspension 29er this strikes me as quite reasonable, especially considering many of the parts are not exactly "lightest in class" (i.e. brakes, pedals, seatpost, tires).

We'll see...

No comments: