Mostly Useless Thoughts on Stuff that Interests Me...

Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Project 29er: Out of the Box

The RIP 9, wheels, and OEM fork arrived today. I haven't done much beyond take it out of the box and weigh it. Nothing was even remotely close to it's claimed weight, the frame was a whopping 7.62 lbs (3456g), the wheels 4.33 lbs (1963g), and the fork 4.05 lbs. (1837g). This pushes my earlier estimate of the total weight to 28.51 lbs. Still lighter than my present bike, but a bit porkier than I had hoped. I can live it with though.

Holy Hydroforming Batman!
Contrast with the strictly straight tubed Burner.
On the right, hiding its shame in the shadows
is LeKG's hybrid, visiting the shop for some TLC.


Bottom bracket junctions aren't what they once were.


The Turner's old Chris King hubs get a new lease on life.
I would have loved some new red CK's, but even I couldn't justify the expense.


Front wheel built up by George at Bike29.
Hub was originally a 9mm axle, but fortunately for my wallet
a 15mm through-axle conversion was available.


The OEM Fox F29 RL.
Claimed weight 3.5 lbs.
Actual weight 4.05 lbs.
...and my bike gets fatter...


More tech changes since my last new bike:
A monster 1.125" to 1.5" tapered head tube.

1 comment:

Carol Gove said...

Awesome photos Max! Very artistic.