Mostly Useless Thoughts on Stuff that Interests Me...

Friday, August 10, 2007

Pimp My Ride

If you know what the following picture is, well not just what it is, but why this type of "what it is" is special, then please continue reading. If not, avert your eyes and spare yourself the boredom. This is for bike nerds only...

Goodbye Practical LX, hello XTR and SRAM hollow-pin chain.

In the spring of 2005 I bought my dream bike. Well, I bought my dream frame, a Turner Burner in metallic flake red. Sadly a lack of funds meant that a lot of components got carried over from my old Specialized.

Flamboyant gents like myself like gold. Hold the medallions though and give me some Chris King ISO Disk Hubs laced to Mavic 717s. Classic Salsa flip-offs are the cherry on top.


After a long night of cleaning and wrenching.
This bike will never be this clean again, ever.


Fast-forward to this summer. I'm getting ready for the 24 Hours of Great Glen, which as I mentioned previously, I'm not exactly in the greatest shape for due to [INSERT LAME EXCUSE HERE]. So I did the only reasonable thing possible in such a situation, no, I didn't train harder and sleep less, I did what makes this country great, I threw money at the problem.

First person to notice component installed upside down gets a prize.

In all seriousness, a lot of the parts needed upgrading, and why bolt on some LX ho-hum when you can have some XTR bling?

When you absolutely, positively need to stop right now:
Avid Juicy 7s with a 185mm front rotor.

So now I have the biking equivalent of a D200. Only thing holding it back is the motor.

Me and my girlfriend.

Well gotta hit the hay and get up tomorrow and pack for Great Glen. Bye for now.

ptb

3 comments:

kevin said...

First person to notice component installed upside down gets a prize.

All too easy

weak and feeble said...

how did the race go for you? the course was in awsome shape this year.

The thompson stem isn't upside down- that's so you can read it when you go over the bars.

later,

DEA

pburba said...

DEA - Apparently it is a small world, I just came across Team Weak and Feeble's blog yesterday. Posting a report on the race tonight if I can escape work for an hour.

And yeah, I did get to test out that theory about the stem...