Mostly Useless Thoughts on Stuff that Interests Me...

Friday, August 17, 2007

Hampshire 100

I must be mad. After a weak showing in the 24 Hours of Great Glen, mostly due to lack of training, I decided there was only one logical thing to do: Immediately enter another endurance race. I'm concerned that this is the lack of prudence that leads to substance abuse and singlespeeds.


Regardless of my misgivings, a quick bit o' Googlin revealed that this Sunday, right in my neck of the woods, is the inaugural Hampshire 100 in Greenfield, NH. Fortunately the '100' is kilometers, not miles. Even better, the race description states:
"The single loop, 100 kilometer course will give participants a good mountain bike workout, while not being so extremely challenging the entire way that one never wants to return for a second year."
Sounds like a nice ramble through the woods. How bad could it be? What could possibly go wrong? A quick check of the forecast (70, partly cloudy, 10% chance of precip) sealed the deal and off my money went.

The Bride and Scorpion #2 have generously offered to come along and cheer me on or carry my spasming body home as needed.

Check back soon for a report, hopefully one that covers the entire course, not just the first 18 miles, a stout tree, and a gruesome spoke injury.

ptb

1 comment:

pburba said...

Hi Biby,

Glad you like the blog. It's good to know somebody reads it! I can't take much credit for the design as it is just one of bloggers's templates.

"other side of planet earth" maybe, but earth seems smaller all the time. I have several co-workers at our office in Chennai, which if I'm reading Google maps right can't be but 250-300 miles from you (strangely I can't plug in cities and get directions...)

ptb